Shining Star International School is all-inclusive private school established in 2014 in Musaffah, Abu Dhabi. Currently serving the needs of the local and international expatriate community, it follows the CBSE curriculum and its students are encouraged to embark on a voyage of discovery that uncover hidden talents in their niche areas of interest.
The central board of secondary education (CBSE) is a standardized curriculum offered in more than 24 countries across the world. As of 2018, the board had a total of 17,900 affiliated schools. Out of these 17,093 are located in India and the rest are located in different countries of the world. In 2016, a total of 1,040,515 candidates were registered for class XII examination, which is a 1.1% increased rate of registrants compared to 2015.
- Here are some salient features of this curriculum:
- The syllabus is very structured and controlled. It makes use of standardized textbooks
- Most entrance exams conducted in the country for college admission follows this syllabus.
- Board exams are optional in 10th grade and mandatory in 12th grade.
- Favored by those who constantly relocate within India or even overseas to countries in the middle east etc., seeking a standardized curriculum.
- Favored by those who want to go into the traditional routes of Engineering/medical/architecture
- Curriculum focus at secondary level is on the following learning areas:
- Humanities – Geography, History, Economics, Home Science, Sociology, Fine arts, Political Science, Fashion Studies, Creative Writing and translation studies and related subjects
- Science and technology – Subjects related to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, ICT, Information practices and Web & Multimedia Studies
- Health and physical education
- Visual and performing arts – Dance, Drama, Music, Drawing, Painting, Crafts and Sculpture
- Commerce – Business Studies, Accountancy, Entrepreneurship, Economics and related subjects
In the CBSE system, instead of 3 exams like quarterly, half yearly and annual, there is continuous assessment throughout the year called Formative Assessments (FA) and one exam called Summative assessment (SA).
What are the CBSE provisions on Special Education?
The CBSE system also mandates special education. Children who have learning difficulties in class are referred to the school counsellor. The counsellor observes the child and may then refer the child to a special education teacher. Remedial classes are conducted for these children separately by the special education teacher. Examinations/tests set for such children are done taking into consideration the adaptations and modifications required for such children. As an example, some children know the material but have a reading difficulty – For such children, the question papers will be read out loud so that they can answer easily.
Over the last 50 years, the Indian system of learning has produced exceptional global leaders who today are steering the fortunes of the world’s top conglomerates. Google, Pepsico , Microsoft and a host of other Fortune 500 companies all have Indian CEO’s . The CBSE curriculum is the most widespread learning system in the Indian subcontinent.